Things most and least grateful for from Robert Reich (via Progressive Democrats of America).
On this Thanksgiving, here are the 10 things I’m most grateful for:
- Wonderful family and friends.
- My dad, who's still going strong (if he makes it, he’ll be 102 in February)
- My health and health of my loved ones.
- The kind and generous people I meet in my travels around America.
- My fabulous students (in my 35 years of university teaching I haven’t encountered a generation of 18 to 25-year-olds as idealistic and as dedicated to the public good as this one).
- Bernie Sanders.
- The indefatigable, tenacious, and tireless advocates and organizers for equal opportunity, against voter suppression, for a $15-an-hour minimum wage, for Black Lives Matter, and for a more just society.
- Teachers, who despite low pay and often impossible odds, continue to do one of the most important jobs in America.
- Barack Obama.
And here are the 10 I’m least grateful for:
- Pfizer, which is deserting America because it doesn’t want to pay its tax bill here.
- Walmart, which is spying on its employees.
- Donald Trump, who’s leading America’s hate brigade.
- Other Republican presidential candidates, who are also spewing venom and lies.
- Wall Street lobbyists who are at this moment trying to water down regulations against excessive speculation.
- Martin Shreki, CEO of drug company Turing, who raised price of drug used by AIDS patients from $13.50 a pill to $750 when he took over the company, and still refuses to lower the price.
- Charles and David Koch, whose political organization is spending as much on the 2016 election as is each of the two major political parties.
- Fox News, which continues to fill the heads of Americans with lies, distortions, hate, bigotry, and right-wing propaganda.
- Republican governors and state legislators who are busy trying to suppress the votes of minorities through voter ID laws and gerrymandering
- Cynics -- because cynicism is a self-fulfilling prophesy making it almost impossible to do anything about 1-9 above.
Make your own list.