Jonathon V. Last has this good news featured in “JVL - The Bulwark firstname.lastname@example.org”.
David Leonhardt at the NY Times explains why the COVID vaccines seem to be better than advertised:
- The Moderna and Pfizer vaccines — the only two approved in the U.S. — are among the best vaccines ever created, with effectiveness rates of about 95 percent after two doses. That’s on par with the vaccines for chickenpox and measles. And a vaccine doesn’t even need to be so effective to reduce cases sharply and crush a pandemic.
- If anything, the 95 percent number understates the effectiveness, because it counts anyone who came down with a mild case of Covid–19 as a failure. But turning Covid into a typical flu — as the vaccines evidently did for most of the remaining 5 percent — is actually a success. Of the 32,000 people who received the Moderna or Pfizer vaccine in a research trial, do you want to guess how many contracted a severe Covid case? One… .
Did you get that? 1/32000
After asking Richterman [an infectious-disease specialist at the University of Pennsylvania] and others what a better public message might sound like, I was left thinking about something like this:
We should immediately be more aggressive about mask-wearing and social distancing because of the new virus variants. We should vaccinate people as rapidly as possible — which will require approving other Covid vaccines when the data justifies it.
People who have received both of their vaccine shots, and have waited until they take effect, will be able to do things that unvaccinated people cannot — like having meals together and hugging their grandchildren. But until the pandemic is defeated, all Americans should wear masks in public, help unvaccinated people stay safe and contribute to a shared national project of saving every possible life.
Read the whole thing but the big takeaway is that as soon as you are eligible for the vaccine, you should get it.
Scriber made his appointment today.