In the novel The Golden Compass and movie of the same name, people’s souls were manifest in dæmons who took the shape of other animals. For the young female lead, “Lyra’s dæmon was Pantalaimon, sometimes called Pan, whose final form took the shape of a male pine marten.”
A dæmon /ˈdiːmən/ was the physical manifestation of a human soul in Lyra’s world. Humans in other worlds had dæmons. However, they were invisible to those who had not learned the technique to see them.
Dæmons were able to hold different intuitions to their humans and reveal emotional responses to their surroundings that might not otherwise be obvious in their humans. Dæmons shared the same dreams as their humans and could communicate both verbally and non-verbally with them.
So getting separated from your dæmon was a very big deal. Those who would separate children from their families must have been separated from their dæmons - or else must have very nasty dæmons (as did Mrs. Coulter played by Nicole Kidman). Sad.
Check out this FanDom entry for more about The Golden Compass.
Here are the rest of themes, schemes, memes, and falemes in this edition of the Illustrated Gnus (aka cartoons from AZ Blue Meanie at Blog for Arizona).
- The toonists this morning predict Nielsen will have some problems finding a job for which cruelty is not a prerequisite.
- Speaking of dæmons, might Trump’s dæmon be Stephen Miller?
- When it comes to discriminating against people of color, like father, like son.
- What Barr says: “everybody gets to see the Mueller report.” What Barr means: “nobody gets to see the Mueller report.”
- What Barr means by “redaction”: concealment.
- Riddle: How many people does it take to
redactshred a 400 page document?
- The Munchkin at Treasury redefines “shall” to “maybe, might, or perhaps”.
- What AOC says: “I’m fighting for your right to health care.” What Trump’s masses hear: “radical extremist peddles socialism.”
- Images of black holes: Trump’s mouth. AntiVaxxer’s brains. Tax cuts for billionaires. American incarceration costs.
- Next year’s form 1040R.