Yesterday I posted Trump’s fight to keep tax returns secret poses a fundamental question for Republicans. That question posed to every Republican is: “What evil, vile thing would Trump have to do in order for you to stop supporting him?” It is not obvious that there exists anything that would shake their obeisance.
The Washington Post concurs.
President Trump famously declared that he wouldn’t lose any voters even if he shot someone in the middle of Manhattan’s Fifth Avenue.
If the first two years of his presidency have shown anything, that statement could be amended to say he wouldn’t lose votes from Republican senators, who have for the most part voted in line with the president at every turn, even when it has seemed to conflict with their stated values.
“Saturday Night Live,” sensing perhaps the elevated tensions coursing through the capital, took aim at this political phenomenon with a parody on NBC host Chuck Todd and his Sunday show, “Meet the Press,” for the cold open.
Here are the rest of themes, schemes, memes, and falemes in this edition of the Illustrated Gnus (aka cartoons from AZ Blue Meanie at Blog for Arizona).
- Back in the day (1962) Scriber danced to Chubby Checker’s Limbo Rock.
- China will pay for Trump’s tariffs - just as Mexico will pay for his wall.
- “Why is this massive effort to close down every last remaining line of inquiry necessary, if Trump has been totally exonerated?” (From Greg Sargent at the Washington Post.)
- What might be in Trump’s tax returns? Don Jr. spilled the beans: “Russians make up a pretty disproportionate cross-section of a lot of our assets.”
- Might the media have it wrong? Trump holds Congress in contempt.
- Trump’s tariffs will unleash a panda-mic on the U. S. consumer.
- Under Trump and the GOPlins, Noah’s Ark bends toward mass extinction.
- Democratic messaging: Green New Deal. Republican messaging: Brown Old Deal.
- Parting thought #1: Are we about to realize The Handmaid’s Tale? NBC News reports: Anti-abortion bills mount as GOP-led states angle for Supreme Court fight over Roe v. Wade. The extremity of the proposals represents a shift in strategy, one abortion rights advocate said.
- Parting thought #2: Trump admin hides stats on America’s longest war (Afghanistan). We’re still stuck in Iraq and Syria. Now Bolton sends a carrier fleet to the Mid-East to confront Iran. What could possibly go wrong?